There are a few other North American Krakens: a bar in California and one in Washington, a food truck in British Columbia, and a "gastropub" in South Carolina. I think it's safe to say that we are the most storied of them all. We do look forward to visiting each of them and rubbing tentacles.
There's a lot of news in advance of our upcoming Krakenversary. Check it out!
Kraken November Update!
* We're celebrating our Krakenversary celebration on Friday, November 27th! This night will be an explosive start to another month of spectacular bands.. A great Chapel Hill throwback night featuring the original Zen Frisbee trio with the Blue Green Gods and the Fontanelles. It's gonna be a big time!
* The Kraken will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 26th. Have a beautiful and safe Thanksgiving, everyone. We are so blessed with such a fine community of friends and family.
* Speaking of giving thanks, Lyndon wins the Kraken MVP for grating the parking lot. We'll be adding crush and run to be prepare for winter. We're considering closing off the highway entrance for safety and extra parking.
* Thanks to all of you for suggestions regarding our liquor supply. Look for fine new selections soon.
* Our draft beers from Haw River Farmhouse and Mystery Brewing are drawing great praise, and we're looking forward to some new selections from our local breweries. Also, there's going to be a new local brewery in White Cross. Stay tuned!
* Our new dart board is mounted and functional. We found some of the old darts while cleaning up the storeroom. We are working on improvements such as installing a scoreboard.
* Projector/screen and radio syncing for basketball games should be in action this week with movie nights and old school video game action following shortly afterwards.
* Musicians, look out for Open Mic nights to be revived on second Wednesdays with an awesome host!
* Finally, all of us at The Kraken are very excited to be hosting The Tokyo Rosenthal Program on Thursdays, starting early January 2016. There will be very special guests every week playing Americana, Roots, Blues, and Country music. The programs will be (pre) recorded live, and will be broadcast on WCHL and syndicated on stations around the country and world. The Kraken is gonna be on the radio, y'all!
Follow our schedule here and on our other online links.
Happy Holidays everyone, and hope to see you soon!!!
Main website right here: http://thekrakenbar.com We're hoping to update the CMS and redo the website when we can wrap our tentacles around it.
Facebook official business page: http://www.facebook.com/KrakenBarChapelHill This is where all of our FB announcements will now be posted. The deleted, original page was originally built as a person, TheKraken Bar. If you're one of the 1358 friends that haven't liked this page yet, now is the time!
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheKrakenBar or @TheKrakenBar We not big tweeters, but we try to give up to date announcements.
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/venue/thekrakenbar This site is mostly geared towards bands, and we don't always update our schedule there since bands usually make their own links, but it's another online resource.
Indie On The Move: http://www.indieonthemove.com/user/TheKraken This site is entirely geared towards bands and venues looking to combine and book shows
Kraken Email: info at thekrakenbar.com We use this address for booking, and occasional questions. Please don't spam us, since we get hundreds of emails a week. Thanks!
Keep up with us online, and stop on by to enjoy the best porch in town every day, and free music every weekend!
There's never a dull moment at The Kraken. Stop by and see for yourself.