There are a few other North American Krakens: a bar in California and one in Washington, a food truck in British Columbia, and a "gastropub" in South Carolina. I think it's safe to say that we our venue is the most storied of them all. We do look forward to visiting each of them and rubbing tentacles.
Come on out for good times!
Kraken Late Summer Update!
* This Summer has been he season of lights! Take care to stop at our fancy new stoplight that NCDOT activated on August 10th. Take a good look at our marquee if you happened to be stopped at the new light, or just stop in for a hot minute and see what's going on.
* As always, we've got a solid lineup of spectacular bands every Friday and Saturday and a few other special nights. Stay tuned!
* The Food Truck situation is beginning to settle into place... At this point, Al's Burger Truck is scheduled to show up on the first Friday of every month, and The Taco El Nino Food Truck is scheduled to show up on the last Saturday of every month. We're talking to other food truck folks for other evenings and as always Fiesta Grill is just around the corner and we have menus so you can order take out.
* Thanks to all of you for suggestions regarding our liquor and beer menu! The newest spirits are Johnny Walker Red, Big Boss Bad Penny Porter, and a recently Tanqueray, Bullet Rye, Glen Livet 12 year, Sauza Silver and Don Julio. We've also introduced local bottled beers from Big Boss and Nantahala Brewery: Hell's Belle Belgian style ale and Angry Angel Kolsch style ale from Raleigh, and Noon Day IPA and Dirty Girl Blonde from Bryson City. We're also introducing selections on tap from Yesteryears Brewery in Carrboro in addition to our Mystery Brewing and Haw River Farmhouse choice beers. We plan to keep rotating good local beers on tap.
* In addition to "The Office" and our wonderful large front porch, we now have another outdoor venue we call "The Annex"
* Our sweet dart board is inspiring some good games recently. Ask your bartender to turn on the stage lights when you request one or both sets of quality darts we keep behind the bar. Scoreboard coming soon.
* As always our pool table is free and we're finally about to recover the felt, rails and pocket and get new house cues! We will welcome any donations and good competition. Please let everyone know that it is not acceptable to place their drinks on the pool table. We're going to have to post a sign about that, but word of mouth works best. Preesh.
Main website right here: http://thekrakenbar.com We're hoping to update the CMS and redo the website when we can wrap our tentacles around it.
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/KrakenBarChapelHill This is the best place to keep up with day to day announcements.
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/TheKrakenBar or @TheKrakenBar We not big tweeters, but we try!
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/venue/thekrakenbar This site is mostly geared towards bands, and we don't always update our schedule there since bands usually make their own links, but it's another online resource.
Indie On The Move: http://www.indieonthemove.com/user/TheKraken This site is entirely geared towards bands and venues looking to combine and book shows
Kraken Email: info at thekrakenbar.com We use this address for booking, and occasional questions. Please don't spam us, since we get hundreds of emails a week. Thanks!
Keep up with us online, and stop on by to enjoy the best porch in town during warm weather, the coziest inside during cold and wet weather and free music every weekend! Don't forget the free pool and darts and the new events coming up!
There's never a dull moment at The Kraken. Stop by and see for yourself.